Skip to main content

Churches & monasteries. In Tulfes

Parish Church of St Thomas the Apostle – Tulfes
The parish church of St Thomas in Tulfes is first mentioned in a document from the Wilten Abbey Archives dating from 1332. In 1333, an indulgence of 40 days was granted to the ‘pro Capella S. Thomae’, and the cemetery was consecrated in 1486. The present-day tower was built in 1718, whilst the church itself is in the late Gothic style. The high altar dates from 1724. The beautiful altarpiece was created by the Hall-based painter Alois Reisacher. The frescoes on the ceiling were painted by the Giner brothers from Thaur and were restored in 1839 by Barthlmä Mayr and Andreas Nocker from Rinn. The south-facing exterior wall of the church is adorned with a large 16th-century-style depiction of St Christopher.

Holidays. All year round