604m above sea level, pop. 3,938
The pace of life is a little slower in Mils, but it's not too far from the buzzing town of Hall. This delightful municipality can look back on a varied history: Mils was inhabited during Roman times, as excavations have impressively revealed. In the early Middle Ages, the small town was an important junction, as the only route to the lower Inn valley ran through the settlement. Mineral extraction brought a major commercial boost. During the 16th century there was a large mining community, which built a chapel in honour of its patron saint, St Anna, ornately finished with a magnificent, life-sized Gothic Christ on the Mount of Olives.
Today, Mils is the place for relaxation: footpaths for hikers and strollers, a varied range of cycle routes for the summer and a perfectly groomed cross-country track and night toboggan run in the winter will thrill all sport enthusiasts.
Mils also has a reputation for music – the Oswald Milser Choir, one of the Tyrol's most famous vocal ensembles is based here. And if you really want to treat yourself, then the Day Spa in Mils, a first for the Tyrol, is the perfect place to relax.
In 1587 Archduke Ferdinand II built the Hirschenlust hunting lodge, later destroyed by fire and the adjoining farm buildings. For centuries Mils was a renowned place of pilgrimage. However, when the parish church burnt down in 1791, followed by a 10-year period of reconstruction, its role as a place of pilgrimage had been largely forgotten.
Mils is the meeting-place for countless footpaths and a wide variety of cycle trails.