Parish Church - Holy Assumption of the Virgin Mary - Thaur
The Holy Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Mariä Himmelfahrt) Parish Church was first mentioned in records in 1244. The parish church's celestial patronage history, however, suggests that it predates that year and archaeological excavations during restoration work in 1986 confirmed that view. There is evidence of an early Christian sacred site from as early as the 5th century close to what is now the presbytery. A Romanesque sacred building was built on this spot in the 7th century, followed by a second Romanesque church around 1200. Between 1453 and 1462, the church was enlarged and "Gothicised" by the Thaur master-builders Friedrich and Hans. Later, between 1766 and 1771, the interior was "Baroquised" by the master builder, Johann Michael Umhauser.
Of particular significance in the creation of a historic atmosphere here are the ceiling frescoes by the Thaur Nazarene painter, Franz Xaver Prenlocher II, and also the decorative paintings by Michael Recheis. These were completed between 1878 and 1880 in warm, full-tone colours.
Church of St Vigilius - Thaur
It's still not certain whether the church is dedicated to St Vigil or St Vigilius. Early records are missing, and no extensive archaeological excavations have been carried out, so we cannot be absolutely sure of the church's precise origins.
But at least today St Vigilius of Trento is the church's official patron.
The Church of St Vigilius may not be visited.
Church of St Romedius (also referred to as the Schlosskirchl or Castle Church) - Thaur
Although no comprehensive archaeological excavations have been performed, it can be safely assumed that a Romanesque-style church once stood on the site of today's church, as the earlier crypt has survived. Legacy endowments to the church are recorded in documents for the years 1378 and 1379. In 1625 the old church was so dilapidated that a new church had to be built and this was completed in 1640. The church's present appearance dates from 1778/79 and its construction is attributed to the court master builder, Michael Umhauser. The last and most comprehensive structural repair and restoration was carried out in 1993/94.
The church may be visited on Sunday between 1.00 pm and 4.00 pm.
Church of St Loretto - Thaur
This architecturally rather plain church, past which heavy volumes of traffic flow, was endowed by Archduke Ferdinand II of Tyrol in 1589. The chapel was consecrated in the same year and a chaplaincy was endowed a year later. The house next door, now a tavern, was built in 1723 by court architect Georg Anton Gumpp as a rectory. The present altar was constructed in 1962 as part of a renovation project. The Thaur chapel is the oldest Loretto chapel in the German-speaking world. The surviving breccia columns with recesses by the Haller Strasse are reminders of the chapel's original function as a place of pilgrimage for the region.